At Chesterton, we have a laser focus on our customers! This job impacts the customer by executing the sourcing strategy to ensure continuity of supply and works with local suppliers to improve in the areas of cost, quality, and service.
Responsible for the local procurement and material planning of local materials and services. Accountable, under general guidance to procure assigned materials, services or commodities to meet quality, customer service, and cost competitiveness objectives as established by Procurement Manager. Operates MRP system to develop supplier purchase orders. Acts as escalation point, from assistant buyers, to expedite materials. Supports overall effectiveness of supplier management programs by reporting and providing data to ensure continuous improvements in performance. Ensures supplier capacity and material safety stock sufficiency.
- Assists in the design of RFP/RFQ, leveraging applicable templates and existing technologies
- Supports the communication of the bidding process to local suppliers for a subset of a category and manages response process adhering to all ethical policies
- Helps to analyze supplier responses leveraging applicable templates and technologies
- Analyzes industry and works with local suppliers to meet performance targets
- Supports periodic process to communicate issues, and performance against targets with local suppliers
- Increases responsiveness and customer service by developing solid and trusting relationship with local suppliers
- Provides input to the development of project plans, by providing input on key deliverables, timing and roles/responsibilities
- Executes plan communicating relevant project information to management
- Supports the capturing and analysis of data, including KPI's, both internally and externally to identify the process improvements opportunities
- Supports the analysis and implementation of best practices for all procurement processes within the location. Including statistical and root cause analysis
- Supports the development and execution of supplier negotiation plans. Responsible for negotiations with local suppliers
- Considers own and department cost savings and quality objectives when planning negotiations
- Communicates negotiation plan to all key participants and leads negotiations as appropriate
- Utilizes appropriate negotiating styles and effectively adapts style according to circumstances
- Utilizes key systems and resources that support all procurement, operational and sourcing processes (Including local transactional systems, eSourcing (eRFx / eAuction) applications, supply market analysis and spend analysis tools)
- Utilizes all standard office applications as appropriate
- Supports the planning and implementation of new Procurement technologies
- Supports the drafting of less complex contracts utilizing relevant legal terminology and laws regulating purchasing policies and procedures, ethical practices, and adherence to supplier contracts and agreements
- Supports the contract preparation process to insurance that all contracts meet the legal requirements of the company and will continue to protect the company from legal and business risks
- Develop sourcing strategy based on local requirements
- Develops appropriate strategies to effectively utilize tools (Including eRFx, eAuction)
- Communicates strategy to appropriate audience to achieve required buy-in from all stake holders.
- Conducts basic benchmarking for both intra-industry and inter-industry comparisons
Complexity of Duties:
- Works under general direction; follows established procedures. Work is reviewed upon completion for adequacy in meeting objectives.
- Experienced. Requires full use and application of principles, theories, and concepts in the field plus working knowledge of other related disciplines.
- Provides solutions to a variety of problems some of which may be difficult in nature.
- Frequent inter-organizational and outside customer/supplier contacts.
- Represents the organization in a variety of issues which are associated with specific projects.
- Provide support for other than assigned commodities as needed for cross training or as back up for procurement team members.
To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential duty satisfactorily. The requirements listed below are representative of the knowledge, skill, and/or ability required. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
- Must have strong interpersonal skills.
- Must be highly proficient at written/verbal communication and be able to follow written and verbal instructions.
- Ability to understand and work effectively in an ISO 9000 environment.
- Proficient in Microsoft office suite products
- Effective negotiating skills.
- Ability to operate computer systems.
- Must be willing and able to achieve CPIM certification within a five year period.
- Must be willing to travel as required.
Education and/or Experience:
- Bachelor’s Degree in Business Administration or Engineering
- Minimum 1 year in planning, engineering, finance, strategic sourcing or project management
- Exceptional undergraduates will be considered.
Other Skills and Abilities:
- Decision-making and problem solving skills.
- Function in dynamic environment and prioritize tasks.
The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
While performing the duties of this job, the employee is occasionally required to stand, walk, sit, talk or hear and reach with hands and arms. Specific vision abilities required by this job include close vision. Moderate noise (i.e.; computer printers, traffic) exists daily in the work environment.
All of A.W. Chesterton Company employment is contingent upon successfully passing a background check, drug test, and the respective medical surveillance requirements.
Chesterton is an equal opportunity employer M/F/V/D