At Chesterton, we have a laser focus on our customers. This job impacts the customer by applying complex engineering techniques to design, analyze, test, maintain, repair, or improve our products in order to solve our customer needs.
Applies standard and complex engineering techniques to design, analyze, test, maintain, repair, or improve products, components, or assemblies. Analyzes, develops and evaluates systems. Improves and maintains current systems or creates brand new projects. Designs and drafts blueprints, visits systems in the field and manages projects. Works under minimal supervision. Handles complex issues and problems, and refers only the most complex issues to higher-level staff. Possesses solid knowledge of subject matter.
- Conceptualizes and investigates new products and systems and conducts technical and economical feasibility studies of specific design concepts.
- Establishes design guides, design templates for the engineering organization
- Authors internal design guidelines and analysis templates for the engineering organization
- Performs theoretical and laboratory based studies.
- Provides technical expertise to all groups and disseminates/teaches subject matter to both technical and non-technical professionals.
- Acts as a liaison between customers, vendors and engineering to solve all facets of design, manufacturing and quality problems.
- Designs and develops new products and concepts, prepares information for patent applications as appropriate, advises as to the intellectual property of competitors.
- Generates information for, publishes and presents technical papers on a routine basis.
Complexity of Duties:
- Works under general supervision. Follows established procedures. Work is reviewed for soundness of technical judgment and overall adequacy and accuracy.
- Deals with emergency situations, using sound and logical thinking in choosing a particular course of action.
To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential duty satisfactorily. The requirements listed below are representative of the knowledge, skill, and/or ability required. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
- Strong interpersonal, telephone, written and verbal communication skills
- Strong analytical and technical skills.
- Ability to interact professionally in an interdisciplinary technical team.
- Outstanding multi-tasking ability.
- Strong problem solving skills and ability to troubleshoot.
- Ability to travel to a variety of locations.
- Strong customer service skills.
Education and/or Experience:
- BSE and MSE; PhD in Engineering preferred or equivalent in technical expertise and experience.
- 15 plus years experience or equivalent in the study or design relative to mechanical systems or components required.
- Ten plus years experience in the specific study or design of mechanical sealing systems and technology required.
Other Skills and Abilities:
- Ability to write reports and make presentations.
- Ability to conduct research analysis.
- Ability to deal with emergency situations, using sound and logical thinking in choosing a particular course of action.
- Ability to effectively deal with agitated customers, vendors, or employees.
- Computer skills including e-mail, word processing, spreadsheets and database management.
The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.While performing the duties of this job, the employee is occasionally required to stand, walk, sit, talk or hear and reach with hands and arms. Specific vision abilities required by this job include close vision. Moderate noise (i.e.; computer printers, traffic) exists daily in the work environment.
All of A.W. Chesterton Company employment is contingent upon successfully passing a background check, drug test, and the respective medical surveillance requirements.
Chesterton is an equal opportunity employer M/F/V/D