At Chesterton, we have a laser focus on our customers! This job impacts the customer by advising our internal experts and cross-fucntional teams using processes tailored to provide the best engineered product that solves customer needs.
The Technical Advisor works in a subgroup dedicated within the engineering organization focused on delivering kDR executed project, programs, and platforms under the leadership of the Senior Manager and Manager, Innovation and Technology engineering. Responsible for a wide variety of complex mechanical and/or technical duties in the documentation and associated research of mechanical seals/mechanical packings/industrial lubricants/arc coatings/other sealing products. In an outsourcing environment, works with service providers to ensure their in-scope technical solutions are consistent with the enterprise's business strategy and architecture. In addition, this role provides input into the in-scope technical architecture for outsourcing projects.
- Works under direction from Senior Manager and Manager, Innovation and Technology Engineering to execute and implement specific engineering organizational activities and interfaces with internal and external Chesterton customers.
- Makes recommendations and/or contributions regarding solutions to new techniques and products.
- Works closely with business unit performance managers and quality assurance staff to review service provider problems, to analyze and validate the accuracy of information and the feasibility of solutions
- Tracks industry trends and maintains knowledge of new technologies in the area of expertise to better evaluate business unit service requests and service provider proposals.
- Provide technical assistance to field sales personnel via telephone, telefax and/or customer visits.
- Troubleshoot mechanical seal applications based on test reports, consultations with applications engineers, test lab and design engineering.
- Analyze failed seals as required. Support the creation of written reports to Engineering Leadership and applicable inside account executive.
- Generate engineering change requests based on customer requests, design change requirements or drafting errors. Design change requirements are based on modifications deemed necessary by the application engineer to meet applications conditions (i.e. improper metallurgy, improper face materials, incorrect gland seal specified, incorrect/inadequate environmental controls available).
- Generate engineering design orders based on customer requests. Generate sketches of adapters and environmental controls as necessary for drafting to adapt seal for installation. Specify materials of construction on sketches.
- Provide PV, or maximum speed calculations, bushing flow and gland stress analysis as required to customer/specialist.
- Maintain reference files on various mechanical seal division products. Provide copies of new information to applications engineering.
- If requested, develop list of proven applications in particular area of specialization (i.e. API, CPI, Power, general, etc.) Prepare seminar to present to field sales at Distributors offices as required by managers and/or senior managers.
- May troubleshoot performance issues and resolve problems with service providers.
- Keeps current on the participating business strategies and advises when solutions may or may not be leveraged across the enterprise.
- Interacts with all aspects of engineering, test lab, drafting, and production personnel.
- Understands the value of technology in the enterprise's business processes, works with service providers to identify opportunities for innovation, cost reduction and improved efficiencies and reviews service provider solutions.
- Provides guidance/training to more junior staff.
Complexity of Duties:
- Interacts effectively with a variety of exempt and non-exempt professionals within the division.
- High level of involvement in solving technical and/or engineering problems.
- High level of decision-making responsibilities.
To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential duty satisfactorily. The requirements listed below are representative of the knowledge, skill, and/or ability required. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
Education and/or Experience:
- Bachelor's degree in Engineering preferred or equivalent experience
- 7+ years related experience. Knowledge of business operating systems.
Other Skills and Abilities:
- Strong analytical and computer skills to ensure effective and accurate data.
- Basic engineering knowledge and some product knowledge.
- Mechanical aptitude and the ability to apply towards decision-making process.
- Ability to work independently and as part of a team.
The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions. While performing the duties of this job, the employee is occasionally required to stand, walk, sit, talk or hear and reach with hands and arms. Specific vision abilities required by this job include close vision. Moderate noise (i.e.; computer printers, traffic) exists daily in the work environment.
All of A.W. Chesterton Company employment is contingent upon successfully passing a background check, drug test, and the respective medical surveillance requirements.
Chesterton is an equal opportunity employer M/F/V/D