At Chesterton, we have a laser focus on our customers. This job impacts the customer by ensuring that the quality of our products meet or exceed the level of quality for which Chesterton products are known, and consequently continuously increase the level of satisfaction our customers experience.
The Chesterton Quality department is seeking an energetic, self-motivated and detail oriented engineer with a passion and drive for quality. Duties and responsibilities include the implementation and execution of the Chesterton quality system requirements across various product lines, divisions, services and project areas, with particular emphasis on the utilization of modern quality methodologies. This is an entry level quality engineering position that will seek to challenge and develop the quality engineering skills needed to be successful in a production environment. A successful candidate will work within the quality organization and collaborate with other business areas and functions. He/she will ensure that organizational quality systems and methodologies are implemented and followed as required, in order to achieve organizational and company goals.
- Participate in the implementation of company quality standards, as well as analyzing and monitoring metrics to track progress.
- Be responsible for measurements and notification of areas for improvement.
- Directly impact, and help achieve facility/location and company quality objectives for assigned divisional/product line or project areas.
- Improve Operational and Quality System requirements within assigned functional area.
- Develop and assist in implementing Quality System improvements, changes, and corrective actions directly resulting in productivity gains, quality costs reductions and solutions to complex quality problems.
- Successfully plan and assist in executing a range of assigned projects in support of divisional/product line/sales/ marketing and company objectives and plans. This includes occasional assignments to support New Product Development efforts in a cross-functional team environment.
- Assist with the implementation and maintenance of ISO 9001 and ISO 14001, as well as other quality/industry standards and Total Quality Management principles.
- Provide support, direction and guidance as appropriate to the Quality organization.
- Support efforts for the preparation of documents, records and reports as required for certified orders.
- Follow up with internal and external communications essential to operations.
- Assist in internal and external audits.
- Secure data in a manner to ensure the company’s interests are at all times protected.
- Minimal international / domestic travel may be required.
Complexity of Duties:
Work is highly independent, with minimum instruction or supervision.
Makes decisions based upon sound judgment. Special instructions given by manager for new assignments.
Contacts are with all levels of personnel including executive and senior management, across organizations, and internal and external customers in various organizations.
Education and/or Experience:
- Bachelor’s degree in Engineering mechanical/chemical discipline or other engineering discipline.
- 1-3 years of experience within a manufacturing environment desired.
- ASQ Quality Engineering Certification a plus, but not required.
Other Skills and Abilities:
Ability to apply advanced mathematical concepts such as exponents, logarithms, quadratic equations, and permutations.
Ability to apply mathematical operations to such tasks as frequency distribution, determination of test reliability and validity, analysis of variance, correlation techniques, sampling theory, and factor analysis.
Ability to define problems, collect data, establish facts, and draw valid conclusions.
Ability to interpret an extensive variety of technical instructions in mathematical or diagram form and deal with several abstract and concrete variables.
Presentation and audit skills with internal and external customers, verbal and written communication skills at all levels of the organization.
Possess or willing to obtain lead auditor certification in ISO 9001/14001 and perform internal and external supplier audits.
Possess or willing to obtain Green Belt / Black Belt in Six Sigma Quality.
The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions. While performing the duties of this job, the employee is occasionally required to stand, walk, sit, talk or hear and reach with hands and arms. Specific vision abilities required by this job include close vision. Moderate noise (i.e.: computer printers, traffic) exists daily in the work environment.
All of A.W. Chesterton Company employment is contingent upon successfully passing a background check, drug test, and the respective medical surveillance requirements.
Chesterton is an equal opportunity employer M/F/V/D