At Chesterton, we have a laser focus on our customers! This job impacts the customer by providing expertise in the IoT area, with the goal of continuing the product innovation and development our customers expect.
Responsible for the investigation and development of new IIOT-technology incorporated products, including technical, manufacturability, supply chain and economical feasibility evaluation. Responsible for the leadership for several simultaneous IOT technologies under development. Will drive a range of complex mechanical-, electrical and computer engineering assignments under limited supervision with considerable discretion as to work details. Responsible for IIOT product development. Interfaces with multiple departments throughout the organization and external customers.
- Responsible to deliver robust pipeline of products with full responsibility for the Chesterton Smart Programs IOT stack including Device Hardware, Device Software, Communications, Cloud Platform and Cloud applications.
- Responsible for working with the Hardware team, external vendors, external consultants, and the internal platform team on selecting and optimizing hardware and software solutions to advance Chesterton Smart Programs
- Works closely with Chesterton MVP Foundry to infuse New Technology introductions under guidance and direction from MVP Foundry, Chief Emeritus Engineer/VP of Engineering.
- Works closely with key stakeholders to enable assessment and prioritization within project pipeline under the guidance of VP of Engineering.
- Analyzes, develops, and recommends design approaches necessary to meet production requirements for designated IOT products and production processes.
- Generates information for and/or writes and presents technical papers. Prepares reports. Makes presentations to management as required.
- Conducts technical, manufacturing producibility and economical feasibility analyses.
- Working with procurement, sources necessary components for product iterations and final product assemblies.
- Work with vendors to prototype and prove out performance
- Work to optimize core features and difficult issues.
- Ability to work within a project team environment to develop preliminary product costing, manage design and procurement issues, and meet schedules for product delivery to market.
- Provides factory support and assistance
- Coordinates complex projects from concept through design, testing, manufacturing and customer installation.
- Responsible for product documentation (sample BOM, installation instructions, Application Engineering support documents, etc.)
- Interfaces with marketing, drafting, testing laboratory, manufacturing, purchasing, quality control, engineered solutions finance and vendors on various issues associated with product lines.
- Develops prototypes; sets-up and directs lab and field testing; works on/involved with design refinement, dimensional charting, concurrent engineering and bringing the product through its first production run.
- Reviews and approves related input such as CAD drawings and specifications prepared by technical support staff.
- Troubleshoots product failures and suggests corrective action.
- Ensures compliance with Company quality systems, policies, and procedures.
- Interprets and communicates policies, procedures and other vital information to employees.
To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential duty satisfactorily. The requirements listed below are representative of the knowledge, skill, and/or ability required. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
- Advanced written, verbal, interpersonal, consultation skills.
- Advanced knowledge and understanding of complex mechanical engineering principles.
- Extensive expertise, technical competence, and problem-solving skills.
- Ability to direct, coordinate, and support the work of engineering professionals and technicians.
- Solid understanding of business administration, budgeting and other economic principles.
Complexity of Duties:
- Works under only very general direction from VP level and determines and develops approaches to solutions. Exercises considerable discretion as to work details. Work is reviewed upon completion for adequacy in meeting objectives.
- Working knowledge and understanding of multiple related disciplines related to mechanical design of products with embedded IOT sensors, i.e., manufacturability, quality control, financial analysis and cost reduction.
- Provides technical assistance and solutions to a wide range of difficult problems requiring a high degree of technical competence.
- Interfaces regularly with multiple levels of the organization and vendors on issues relating to product lines. May represent organization in providing solutions to difficult technical problems associated with specific projects.
- Ability to direct and provide support to Engineering Services personnel.
Education and/or Experience:
- Experience in one or more specific IoT / embedded industry (i.e. home automation, business automation, health, asset tracking, smart utilities, etc.)
- Experienced with managing cross functional teams
- Experience with embedded or real-time operating systems, and/or driver/kernel development
- Solid understanding of the IoT stack and familiarity with IoT platforms.
- Technical background with IP-based wireless technology, public wireless networks, and IP networking.
- Understanding of the design considerations when architecting data communications subsystems for cloud-hosted IoT applications.
- Excellent understanding of the AWS cloud computing stack.
- MS or PhD in Computer Science, Computer Engineering or related field
- At least 10-15 years of related work experience in embedded devices
- 5 years of architecture leadership designing and selecting hardware and OS combinations to meet product requirements
- Ability to work with wide team in evaluating the hardware architecture choices
- Demonstrated delivery of 1 or more commercial devices to market
- Ability to work with product management to trade-off requirements against implementation choices
- Strong demonstrated experience from the buildroot level up to the application level
- Demonstrated leadership ability to provide technical leadership
- Strong interpersonal and communication skills with ability to work in a cross-disciplinary manner
- Ability to work in a fast paced, startup environment
- Experience in rotating equipment / mechanical seal design preferred
Other Skills and Abilities:
- Advanced technical and problem solving skills.
- Strong written, verbal, interpersonal, and customer contact communication skills.
- Troubleshooting skills and organizational skills.
- Skilled with word processing, spreadsheets, CAD experience desirable.
- Computer aided manufacturing (CAM) experience / knowledge desirable.
- Familiarity with Microsoft Project a plus.
The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions. While performing the duties of this job, the employee is occasionally required to stand, walk, sit, talk or hear and reach with hands and arms. Specific vision abilities required by this job include close vision. Moderate noise (i.e.; computer printers, traffic) exists daily in the work environment.
All of A.W. Chesterton Company employment is contingent upon successfully passing a background check, drug test, and the respective medical surveillance requirements.
Chesterton is an equal opportunity employer M/F/V/D