At Chesterton, we have a laser focus on our customers! This job impacts the customer by ensuring on time delivery and execution of our daily production orders.
Responsible for day to day operations of the manufacturing cell. Coordinates and plans work schedules. Assists in the moving of material throughout the facility and/or cells as required. Performs direct labor/value added tasks within the cell as required. Sets up and runs cell meetings. Acts as a liaison between all other support functions, i.e., Manufacturing Engineering, Purchasing, Planning, Maintenance, CCT and Quality Control. Requires thorough understanding of Mechanical Seals and a general understanding of the business/manufacturing environment. Monitors and controls spending to budgets. Manages day to day personnel issues. Manages employee performance and discipline issues, utilizing appropriate support from Human Resources and/or appropriate Manager.
- Performs all administrative functions necessary for proper cell operation.
- Maintains safe working environment, ensures safety procedures are followed, and provides for proper housekeeping in all work centers.
- Works Environmental, Health and Safety to evaluate requirements of the department. Recommends improvements as required.
- Ensures quality procedures are implemented and that activities in the manufacturing area are performed according to quality standard and procedures.
- Monitors and maintains cell absenteeism and disciplinary records. Documents absenteeism and discipline problems and recommends various course of action as required.
- Monitors and documents cell employee performance evaluations and recommends salary increases.
- Identifies employee training needs and coordinates proper training. Develops training plans; monitors training records.
- Evaluate labor requirements for daily and weekly schedules to support customer service.
- Authorizes the transfer and disposal of all Hazardous Waste resulting from processes within the work department.
- Assists management in the creation and proper execution of the budget and spending plan(s).
- Conducts and documents regularly department meetings. Keeps employees informed of all pertinent information as directed by management.
- Performs multiple direct labor/value added tasks such as: operating various machinery, hand and power tools; mechanical assembly functions; test functions; material handling; sand blasting; gasket cutting and other manufacturing floor functions.
- Measure and report on manufacturing KPI, in support of customer service excellence and audit/certification requirements.
- Work with Process Engineering to review and suggest updates to Work Instructions for best practices.
- Identify areas of continuous improvement including but not limited to improving delivery, identifying cost savings and eliminating redundancy.
Complexity of Duties:
- Works under general direction and independently. Provides direction to the cells guided by established procedures. Work is reviewed for soundness of judgment and overall quality and efficiency.
- Monitors work operations on a daily basis requiring thorough knowledge of the cell and the ability to perform all critical functions within that cell.
- Erroneous decisions or failure to get results will cause delays in manufacturing schedules and/or result in the allocation of additional resources.
- Works closely with leads and management. Requires the ability to work as a team player to solve complex problems and make decisions that affect the entire manufacturing floor.
- Ability to work in an uncomfortable environment, i.e., exposure to noise and variable temperatures.
- Ability to work under pressure and make unpopular decisions. Ability to manage multiple issues of varying complexity simultaneously.
To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential duty satisfactorily. The requirements listed below are representative of the knowledge, skill, and/or ability required. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
Strong written and verbal communication skills. Advanced interpersonal skills. Ability to function as a team player.
Ability to supervise others and to manage and evaluate work performance effectively and objectively.
Thorough understanding of manufacturing environment.
Strong problem solving and decision making skills utilizing Lean, Six Sigma, and 8D methodology.
Ability to perform various manufacturing functions requiring manual dexterity and lifting abilities.
Ability to operate hand/power tools and machinery.
Education and/or Experience:
- High School or Trade School required
- Associated degree preferred
- 5-7 years of demonstrated experience in supervisory manufacturing environment
Other Skills and Abilities:
- Strong interpersonal and communication skills.
- Ability to direct the operations of a cell.
- Ability to direct the work of others and manage day to day employee issues.
- Strong problem solving and decision making skills.
- Ability to perform multiple manufacturing functions and work in an uncomfortable environment.
The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions. Employees assigned to certain tasks within this job may be required to participate in our Medical Surveillance Program. While performing the duties of this job, the employee is occasionally required to stand, walk, sit, talk or hear and reach with hands and arms. Specific vision abilities required by this job include close vision. Moderate noise (i.e.; computer printers, traffic) exists daily in the work environment. Exposure to high levels of heat, noise and fumes while in the plant environment.
All of A.W. Chesterton Company employment is contingent upon successfully passing a background check, drug test, and the respective medical surveillance requirements.
Chesterton is an equal opportunity employer M/F/V/D