At Chesterton, we have a laser focus on our customers! This job impacts the customer by increasing our cost competitiveness while maintaining high quality standards for raw materials.
Develops and implements procurement plans to support forecasted needs for commodities. Establishes and implements strategies for negotiating commodity purchase agreements based on in-depth knowledge of foreign and domestic markets for optimum pricing and terms. Employs knowledge of commodity qualities, transportation options, risk management, and procurement evaluation models to develop and implement optimal commodity procurement strategies. Negotiates contracts to ensure contractual terms are being met. Considered expert in field within the organization. Effects of decisions are long-lasting & heavily influence the future of the org. Errors in judgment/failure to achieve results would result in the expenditure of large amounts of company resources. May have global responsibility.
- Assume full responsibility for Strategic Procurement for assigned commodities (Metals, Plastics, Chemicals, etc.) and global as assigned.
- Manage vendors to adhere to Corporate Guidelines and Compliance initiatives
- Manage vendors to adhere to Corporate Financial terms and conditions
- Represents A.W. Chesterton as the primary external contact for Procurement
- Evaluate market conditions for assigned commodities and purchased products
- Contribute to the development of Commodity Strategies and implementation
- Coordinate supplier selection based on Total Cost of Ownership criteria (including Quality, Reliability, Delivery, Transportation Costs, etc.)
- Negotiation of purchasing contracts and pricing agreements
- Manage supplier performance evaluation
- Develop cost saving proposals, alternative sourcing and vendor evaluation criteria
- Maintain ongoing assessment of sourcing risks and proposed alternatives
- Achieve cost reduction targets in conjunction with other Procurement peers, and together with all necessary cross functions like R&D, Marketing, Manufacturing
Complexity of Duties:
- Work is highly independent, with minimum instruction or supervision.
- Supervises, coaches and mentors others at varying levels, representing multiple product teams and/or sub-teams..
- Makes business decisions based upon sound judgment that impact product introduction schedules, financial plans and specifications.
- Assignments are received in objective oriented terms. Work is reviewed in terms of meeting Company objectives and schedules.
- Suboptimal results, decisions or recommendations would often result in critical program delays, considerable expenditure of resources and loss of product revenue.
- Establishes, develops and maintains productive long term relationships with key suppliers.
- Provides solutions to a wide range of problems, some of which will be complex in nature. Solutions are imaginative and thorough.
- Partners with finance to manage department budget, projects and key initiatives.
- Frequent inter-organizational and outside customer/supplier contacts are expected. Professionally represents the team and Chesterton in a variety of issues associated with specific projects. Ongoing negotiation (with suppliers as well as with internal associates) is expected in order to achieve optimal cost, on-time and successful completion of projects.
To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential duty satisfactorily. The requirements listed below are representative of the knowledge, skill, and/or ability required. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
Superior negotiation, arbitration, conflict resolution, problem solving and interpersonal skills with suppliers, internal and external customers. Ability to coach associates in these skills.
Demonstrated supervisory skills managing associates spanning two or more business areas.
Thorough knowledge of, and ability to audit, enhance and write AWC procedures and policies.
Advanced analytical and presentation skills.
Advanced project management skills.
Able to understand and work effectively in an ISO 9000 / ISO 14001 environment.
Must be proficient in Microsoft office suite products
Ability to utilize and master various computer systems.
Ability to analyze and assist in implementation of new computer systems. Expected to train others in the effective use of these systems.
Manages priorities and delivers projects and tasks on time.
Consistent Customer focused attitude. Communicates frequently with direct reports, management, Customer service, manufacturing leadership and others, to keep them well informed.
Education and/or Experience:
- Bachelors’ degree or higher in Materials Management, Supply Chain, Business Administration, Engineering or related discipline.
- 8-10 years progressive supply chain experience in a manufacturing environment.
- Strong experience in purchasing, sourcing, negotiation and logistics.
- Lean and/or six sigma green belt strongly preferred.
Other Skills and Abilities:
Superior decision-making and problem solving skills.
Function well in a dynamic environment and be able to prioritize tasks. Ability to interpret a variety of instructions in written, oral, diagram or schedule form.
Experience with international purchase order terms, Incoterms® 2010 and Harmonized Tariff Codes.
Understanding of international currency valuation and how it impacts cost.
Basic knowledge of purchasing contract law.
Familiarity with basic financial accounting. Develops and tracks budgets.
Strong working knowledge of import / export compliance.
The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions. While performing the duties of this job, the employee is occasionally required to stand, walk, sit, talk or hear and reach with hands and arms. Specific vision abilities required by this job include close vision. Moderate noise (i.e.: computer printers, traffic) exists daily in the work environment.
All of A.W. Chesterton Company employment is contingent upon successfully passing a background check, drug test, and the respective medical surveillance requirements.
Chesterton is an equal opportunity employer M/F/V/D