At Chesterton, we have a laser focus on our customers! This job impacts the customer by producing machined products that meet and surpass customer expectations for quality and delivery.
Operates Numerical Control machine tools including, but not limited to, lathes, millers, EDM, etc, as needed to manufacture metal components. One or more machines may be running at the same time. Inspects work and performs quality checks to ensure conformance to Engineering Drawings. Will record data per inspection plan, either manually or electronically. Works as part of a team, and must be willing to support quality and production goals. Cross checks other cell operators’ work for first piece inspection and advises of any quality issues.
- Operates Numerical Control machine tools in a cellular environment, including lathes and millers. Does minor tool set up involving changing inserts, end mills, drills, counter sinks, etc.
- Operates machine controller to down load (electronically transfer) part program files.
- Performs work from operation and planning packages, which include process sheets, tooling lists, set-up sheets, program code and blueprints.
- Inspects work and performs Quality checks and records data per inspection plans as required. Makes necessary changes to tooling, offsets, feeds, and speeds to produce in spec parts.
- Exercises independent judgment in determining adjustments to be made to machinery to produce parts to meet drawing dimensions. Must support Chesterton Quality Policies.
- Maintains safe and clean work area on a daily basis. Keeps informed of and follows machine shop safety policies and procedures.
- Performs minor set-ups that include changing fixtures on the miller, changing tool holders on both lathes and millers, and make electronic tooling offsets to adjust tool position and piece part characteristics.
Complexity of Duties:
- Works under general supervision. May take direction from supervisor, lead man, or trainer. Follows detailed operation process planning, written, and/or verbal instructions.
- Checks own work with inspection tools, gauges, micrometers, indicators, etc., and has work cross-checked by a Quality Control Inspector.
- May be required to deburr parts; do subassembly work, press pins, and /or faces into fabricated components; mark, etch, stamp or engrave as needed to complete a part in a cellular environment.
- Ability to read and comprehend engineering drawings and blueprints.
- Ability to work in an uncomfortable environment; i.e., extreme heat, cold, and noise.
- Ability to work well with others.
Education and/or Experience:
- High School or Trade School.
- Minimum of 5 years experience with Numerical Control machines in a Manufacturing/Machine Shop
Other Skills and Abilities:
- Ability to read, comprehend, and follow written and verbal instructions.
- Requires solid Math skills.
- Requires a solid understanding of Numerical Control Programs and be able to read and understand machine code.
- Ability to work in a Machine Shop Environment.
- Requires lifting parts, tools, and fixtures weighing up to 35 pounds.
- Requires ability to read and comprehend engineering drawings and blueprints.
- Ability to function as part of a team. Strong Interpersonal skills and the ability to work well with others.
- Exercises independent judgment in the manufacturing of components.
The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions. Employees assigned to certain tasks within this job may be required to participate in our Medical Surveillance Program. While performing the duties of this job, the employee is occasionally required to stand, walk, sit, talk or hear and reach with hands and arms. Specific vision abilities required by this job include close vision. Moderate noise (i.e.; computer printers, traffic) exists daily in the work environment. Exposure to high levels of heat, noise and fumes while in the plant environment.
All of A.W. Chesterton Company employment is contingent upon successfully passing a background check, drug test, and the respective medical surveillance requirements.
Chesterton is an equal opportunity employer M/F/V/D