At Chesterton, we have a laser focus on our customers! This job impacts the customer by directly scheduling customer orders and prioritizing requests.
Plans, prepares, issues and controls production schedules and material requirements to ensure a controlled flow of approved materials timed to meet production requirements. Maintains finished goods at targeted inventory levels and provides input into excess and obsolete inventory disposition. Advises management on the status of work in progress, material availability and potential production problems. Coordinates interdepartmental activity with Quality Control, Manufacturing, Purchasing, Shipping, and Customer Service. Works as the primary contact with Customer Service Team to coordinate customer delivery requirements.
- Maintains finished goods at targeted levels. Makes adjustments as needed to stay under targeted levels.
- Monitors daily order entry reports and communicates scheduling problems and concerns to Customer Service Team.
- Facilitates daily morning customer service meetings.
- Expedites late supplier deliveries with Purchasing and production work orders to support the materials requirements plan. Initiates purchase requisitions when necessary.
- Plans and communicates material requirements with our mfg. facility in Mexico.
- Reviews and recommends the disposition of excess and obsolete inventory.
- Completes price requests for manufactured products.
- Plays key role in demand management process.
- Establishes and maintains reliability of appropriate database information.
- Issues weekly/monthly production schedule. Adjusts and expedites as required to achieve required customer service levels.
- Coordinates the requisition of some support items from various suppliers.
- Assists management in resolving problems concerning over shipments, shortages, engineering changes and cancellations of orders.
- Prepares and provides various reports for management. Participates actively in departmental and divisional meetings.
- Makes recommendations to improve quality and effectiveness of Inventory Management System.
- Audits bills of materials and routings regularly to resolve discrepancies. Reports the accuracy on a monthly basis.
- Supports the MRPII process in reviewing, auditing and analyzing manufacturing orders, bills of materials and routings, customer detail late shipment, supplier performance and materials plan performance.
- Makes changes to BOM’s and routings as necessary.
- Reviews and responds to customer complaints using company systems.
- Participates in new product launch meetings and schedules to ensure on time introduction.
- Participates in cross-functional improvement teams as necessary.
- Represents MP Operations for all business system issues and project work, including upgrades and new system implementations.
- Participates as an internal company auditor.
- Participates in the review and updating of dept. work instructions and procedures.
- Sets direction for factory floor personnel in the absence of the dept. supervisor.
Complexity of Duties:
Works under general direction. Must be capable of working independently and as a team player. Work is reviewed for overall adequacy and accuracy in meeting objectives. Must be able to set direction for daily work in the absence of the Dept. Supervisor.
Qualified. Must possess thorough understanding of materials, scheduling, inventory control and planning functions as well as a solid understanding of a manufacturing environment.
Ability to provide solutions to a wide variety of problems and use sound judgment in decision-making processes. Failure to do so may cause delays in program schedules and result in the allocation of additional resources. Ability to quickly learn and understand new and upgraded business systems.
Ability to interact well at all levels of the division. Ability to act as a liaison between Customer Service and Manufacturing.
Ability to work under extreme pressure and manage a number of projects simultaneously. Strong organizational skills.
Ability to work in an ISO 9001;2000 and ISO 14001 environment.
To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential duty satisfactorily. The requirements listed below are representative of the knowledge, skill, and/or ability required. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
- Excellent written, verbal, and interpersonal communication skills.
- Thorough knowledge of Materials/Inventory management, MRP and Production Control.
- Solid understanding of manufacturing environment, processes and business administration.
- Ability to operate computer and skilled in its use. Understanding of on-line inventory systems.
- Well-developed math and statistical reporting skills.
- Well developed problem-solving and decision-making skills.
- Thorough understanding of strategic business planning concepts.
- Thorough understanding and knowledge of continuous improvement methods.
Education and/or Experience:
- Bachelor's Degree or equivalent in related field or equivalent in work related experience.
- 5+ years experience in Materials/Inventory Management and Production Control
- Willingness to achieve APICS certification within an agreed upon time frame.
Other Skills and Abilities:
Thorough knowledge of operating policies, practices and procedures.
Ability to solve practical problems and deal with a variety of concrete variables in situations where only limited standardization exists.
Ability to interpret a variety of instructions in written, oral, diagram or schedule form.
The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions. Employees assigned to certain tasks within this job may be required to participate in our Medical Surveillance Program. While performing the duties of this job, the employee is occasionally required to stand, walk, sit, talk or hear and reach with hands and arms. Specific vision abilities required by this job include close vision. Moderate noise (i.e.; computer printers, traffic) exists daily in the work environment.
All of A.W. Chesterton Company employment is contingent upon successfully passing a background check, drug test, and the respective medical surveillance requirements.
Chesterton is an equal opportunity employer M/F/V/D