At Chesterton, we have a laser focus on our customers! This job impacts the customer by ensuring that our products are packaged safely and prepared for delivery to our customers!
Responsible for the preparation of finished products for shipping and/or warehousing. Sets up, maintains and operates various packaging equipment. Fills containers of varying size according to shop orders. Utilizes discretion and judgment in making adjustments to production runs as part of in-process quality control. Handles hazardous raw materials and finished goods. Operates fork truck and other machines on a regular basis. Maintains and/or monitors the quality of packages. May instruct trainees/assistants in all packaging operations.
- Consults shop order to determine products to be packaged, and the quantity, size, type and number of containers required.
- Retrieves raw materials. Operates fork truck to retrieve packaging materials, ie, containers, etc. from the Warehouse.
- Sets up packaging (filling) equipment as specified by shop order. Must be capable of setting up and operating several different machines, ie, Mateer-burt, All-Filler, Simplex, etc. to turn bulk material into component size for packaging.
- Pulls day code using batch number from the run sheet to submit sample from each production run to quality control.
- Fills package with finished product to a specified weight. Uses a scale to spot weigh finished product, before and during packaging operation. Records yield weight on run sheets.
- Performs basic quality control inspection of packaging materials, containers, and product for proper condition including cleanliness and quality of package.
- Assembles and stencils cartons and applies labels to containers as specified by shop order.
- Utilizes Aerosol Labeler machine as required to label aerosol cans. Uses Bar Coding Computer.
- Places filled containers/cartons on skids and prepares for shipping/warehousing. Prepares relevant documentation.
- Disposes properly of hazardous waste in satellite accumulation drums.
- Cleans packaging equipment and work area according to safety procedures.
- Returns excess material to inventory.
- Responsible for receiving and handling bulk materials via the loading station.
Complexity of Duties:
- Works with minimal supervision. Must be capable of working independently. General instructions provided as needed.
- Skilled. Must be capable of exercising judgment and discretion and make adjustments to product as required.
To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential duty satisfactorily. The requirements listed below are representative of the knowledge, skill, and/or ability required. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
Ability to wear a respirator and handle hazardous materials.
Ability to exercise judgment and troubleshoot problems.
Ability to work independently and direct the work of others.
Must be capable of operating a fork truck and various packaging equipment.
Ability to use a scale and make adjustments as required.
Ability to comprehend and follow written and verbal instructions.
Must possess basic grammar and math skills, ie, proper use of addition, subtraction, multiplication, division, fraction and weights.
Ability to do heavy lifting up to approx. 70 pounds and handle drums of 400-700 lbs via rolling or other method by utilizing safe lifting practices. Must be willing to ask for assistance when needed.
Must be able to operate fork-trucks, drum lifts and other equipment to assist in lifting of up to 6000 pounds.
Must be capable of setting up and operating several different machines, ie, Mateer-burt, All-Filler, Simplex, etc.
Education and/or Experience:
- High School or Trade School required
- One plus years in manufacturing environment desirable.
Other Skills and Abilities:
- Basic computer skills, ie, ability to operate a Bar Coding computer a plus.
- Interpersonal skills.
- Ability to work under pressure and work well with others.
- Ability to train entry level employees.
- Ability to work in an uncomfortable environment, ie heat and noise.
- Ability to handle hazardous materials.
- Must be trained in spill response and safety equipment.
- Ability to understand and adhere to all safety procedures.
The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions. Employees assigned to certain tasks within this job may be required to participate in our Medical Surveillance Program. While performing the duties of this job, the employee is required to stand, walk, sit, talk or hear, reach with hands and arms, stoop or bend and lift up to 70 lbs. Specific vision abilities required by this job include close vision, and ability to distinguish color of products and color-coded materials. Moderate to high levels of heat, noise and fumes exists daily in the work environment. Position works with hazardous chemicals. Ability to wear a respirator required. Ability to operate a fork truck.
All of A.W. Chesterton Company employment is contingent upon successfully passing a background check, drug test, and the respective medical surveillance requirements.
Chesterton is an equal opportunity employer M/F/V/D