Who We Need:
You have experience working with machine shop equipment.
You can comprehend engineering drawings and blueprints.
You like to work as part of a team in supporting quality and production.
Given these skills, you could work anywhere. So why not bring your talents somewhere great?
How about working at a company:
- With 130+ years in US manufacturing, whose business is still growing
- That is led by successful, strategic, personable leaders who know your name
- That has a significant global environmental impact with products and services that prevent and reduce industrial pollution
- That encourages you to dedicate 5% of your on the clock time to career development
- That gives you a formal on-boarding program to get you on a fast path to success
- That offers tuition reimbursement, a global employee recognition program where you can win gift cards, a mentoring program, a paid volunteerism time-off program, a scholarship program for children of employees and many more!
- That has people who are fun, smart, engaged and like working together to bring world-class service to our Customers every day
Check out our formal job description below:
Sets up and operates a full range of conventional machine shop equipment, including lathes, millers, bridgeports boring mills, in addition to setting up, programming, and operating basic CNC equipment to perform work involving moderate to routine set-ups and close to critical tolerances on various material types. Performs complex and diversified machining operations. Inspects work and performs quality checks to ensure conformance to engineering drawings. Cross checks fellow machinists and advises of any quality issues. May contribute and advise engineering regarding design. Works as part of a team - must be willing to support the team and collaborate to support quality and production goals. May train other machinists as required.
- Sets up and operates full range of conventional machine shop equipment, including, lathes, millers, bridgeports, boring mills.
- Develops and fabricates fixtures as needed.
- Performs complex, diversified machining operations necessary to produce the Company's manufacturing products as well as experimental/prototype precision parts for field testing/test lab.
- Machine work is performed from standard documentation, rough sketches, preliminary drawings, verbal discussions, and samples.
- Inspects own work and performs quality checks to ensure conformance to engineering drawings. Cross checks fellow machinists and advises of any quality issues. Must support Chesterton Quality policies.
- Maintains safe and clean work area on a day-to day basis.
- Keeps informed of and follows machine shop safety policies and procedures.
Complexity of Duties:
- Works under general direction. No instructions needed on routine work. General guidance provided upon request for special assignments.
- Manufactures complex components.
- Advanced knowledge and understanding of all standard equipment in machine shop.
- Performs diversified and complex machining operations. Works on the most difficult assignments.
- Exercises independent judgment in determining fabrication methods to be used. Frequently required to improvise and to use shop mathematics.
- May contribute and advise engineering regarding design.
To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential duty satisfactorily. The requirements listed below are representative of the knowledge, skill, and/or ability required. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
Ability to read and comprehend complex engineering drawings and blueprints.
Ability to set up and operate a full range of conventional machine shop equipment.
Advanced mechanical aptitude and manual dexterity.
Ability to read, comprehend, and follow written, verbal instructions, and sequence of events.
Ability to exercise independent judgment.
- Ability to lift reasonably heavy loads up to fifty pounds on a regular basis.
Ability to work in a moderately uncomfortable environment, i.e., extreme heat and noise.
Ability to function as part of a team.
Strong interpersonal skills and the ability to work well with and train others.
Education and/or Experience:
Other Skills and Abilities:
- Ability to work under pressure and work well with others.
- Advanced understanding of shop floor mathematics.
- Advanced understanding of quality control principles.
- Ability to work as a team player.
- Ability to use full range of measurement tools.
- Ability to stand for several hours each day.
- Ability to wear steel toe safety shoes/boots.
- Ability to wear safety eyewear.
- Ability to work in a machine shop environment.
The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions. Employees assigned to certain tasks within this job may be required to participate in our Medical Surveillance Program. While performing the duties of this job, the employee is required to stand, walk, sit, talk, or hear and reach with hands and arms. May require: repetitive elbow movements, rotating wrist movements, grasping, squeezing and handling objects, tools or controls. The employee must regularly lift and/or move up to 50 pounds and may be required to crouch, kneel or bend and reach above shoulder height. Specific vision abilities required by the job include close vision and ability to adjust focus. Works near moving mechanical parts. Exposure to high levels of noise and temperature in the work environment.
A.W. CHESTERTON IS AN EQUAL OPPORTUNITY/AFFIRMATIVE ACTION EMPLOYER
All of A.W. Chesterton Company employment is contingent upon successfully passing a background check, drug test, and the respective medical surveillance requirements.
Chesterton is an equal opportunity employer M/F/V/D