Who We Need:
You have exceptional communication skills.
You have solid interpersonal skills, and ejoy interfacing with customers.
You can troubleshoot and solve problems quickly and welcome a challenge!
Given these skills, you could work anywhere. So why not bring your talents somewhere great?
How about working at a company:
- With 130+ years in US manufacturing, whose business is still growing
- That is led by successful, strategic, personable leaders who know your name
- That has a significant global environmental impact with products and services that prevent and reduce industrial pollution
- That encourages you to dedicate 5% of your on the clock time to career development
- That gives you a formal on-boarding program to get you on a fast path to success
- That offers tuition reimbursement, a global employee recognition program where you can win gift cards, a mentoring program, a paid volunteerism time-off program, a scholarship program for children of employees and many more!
- That has people who are fun, smart, engaged and like working together to bring world-class service to our Customers every day
- Check out our formal job description below:
At Chesterton, we have a laser focus on our customers! This job impacts the customer by providing exceptional techincal support for mechanical packing, gaskets, and live loading.
Works in a subgroup dedicated within the engineering organization focused on delivering kDR (key design review) executed project, programs, and platforms under the leadership of the Senior Manager and Manager, Innovation and Technology engineering. Applies standard engineering techniques to design, analyze, test, maintain, repair, or improve products, components, or assemblies. Job Duties: Analyzes product application inquiries and provides product and application recommendations. Improves and maintains current systems or creates brand new projects. Designs and creates specifications / drawings, visits systems in the field and manages projects. Works under supervision. Handles complex issues and problems, and refers only the most complex issues to higher-level staff. Possesses solid knowledge of subject matter.
- Works under direction from Senior Manager and Manager, Innovation and Technology Engineering to act as a kDR lead by participating in collaborative information collection from Manufacturing, IT, Sales, Marketing and presenting the kDR work package at reviews for successful execution.
- Provide technical assistance to field sales personnel via telephone, telefax, Email or text message and/or customer visits.
- Create documentation required by kDR process, and address all action items in a timely fashion using various tools including comparisons of new designs to reference files on Chesterton Product lines in kDR reviews
- Troubleshoot product applications via telephone, webinars, Skype, e mail or customer visits based on test reports, consultations with applications engineers, test lab and design engineering.
- Analyze failed products as required. Provide a written report to the applicable inside account executive & engineering leadership. Report should consist of applications information, observations, analysis and recommendations for corrective action. Maintain a yearly file of failed Mechanical Packing applications.
- Generate engineering change requests based on customer requests, design change requirements or drafting errors. Design change requirements are based on modifications deemed necessary by the application engineer to meet applications conditions (i.e. different environmental conditions, application / installation requirements, improper metallurgy, improper face materials, incorrect gland seal specified, incorrect/inadequate environmental controls available. Troubleshoot applications based on application survey data, test reports, consultations with regional sales managers, Test Lab and research personnel).
- Generate engineering design orders based on customer requests. Generate sketches of adapters and environmental controls as necessary for drafting to adapt seal for installation. Specify materials of construction on sketches.
- Provide PV, or maximum speed calculations, bushing flow and gland stress analysis as required to customer/specialist.
- Maintain reference files on applications for existing products.
- Provide copies of new information to applications engineering.
- If requested, develop list of proven applications in particular area of specialization (i.e. API, CPI, Power, general, etc.) Prepare seminar to present to field sales at Distributors offices as required by managers and/or senior managers.
Complexity of Duties:
- Works under general supervision. Follows established procedures. Work is reviewed for soundness of technical judgment and overall adequacy and accuracy.
- Deals with emergency situations, using sound and logical thinking in choosing a particular course of action.
To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential duty satisfactorily. The requirements listed below are representative of the knowledge, skill, and/or ability required. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
Strong interpersonal, telephone, written and verbal communication skills
Strong analytical, design calculations and technical skills.
Ability to interact professionally in an interdisciplinary technical team.
Outstanding multi-tasking ability.
Strong problem solving skills and ability to troubleshoot.
Ability to travel to a variety of locations.
Strong customer service skills.
Education and/or Experience:
B.S. in Mechanical Engineering, Materials Science and Engineering, Chemical Engineering, Plastics Engineering or Chemistry and 2-5 years of related experience.
Other Skills and Abilities:
Ability to write reports and make presentations.
Ability to conduct research analysis.
Ability to deal with emergency situations, using sound and logical thinking in choosing a particular course of action.
Ability to effectively deal with agitated customers, vendors, or employees.
Computer skills including e-mail, word processing, spreadsheets and database management.
The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions. While performing the duties of this job, the employee is occasionally required to stand, walk, sit, talk or hear and reach with hands and arms. Specific vision abilities required by this job include close vision. Moderate noise (i.e.; computer printers, traffic) exists daily in the work environment.
A.W. CHESTERTON IS AN EQUAL OPPORTUNITY/AFFIRMATIVE ACTION EMPLOYER
All of A.W. Chesterton Company employment is contingent upon successfully passing a background check, drug test, and the respective medical surveillance requirements.
Chesterton is an equal opportunity employer M/F/V/D