At Chesterton, we have a laser focus on our customers! This position will be a key central resource that directly impact our company's innovation efforts. You will develop hardware and firmware solutions, and provide productional oversight for the latest wireless sensor products the industrial sector can offer. You will provide leadership, key skillsets, and new ideas to support and augment Chesterton's innovation and global leadership in fluid sealing solutions.
Working at the direction of the Manager of IOT, this engineer will design and develop hardware and software for IOT mechanical sealing products. Will implement a range of complex hardware and software engineering assignments under supervision. Will participate in driving new IOT mechanical seal product development. Interfaces with multiple departments throughout the organization and external customers.
- Designs and develops embedded software code for IoT sensor products, including modules and wireless transmission devices.
- Develops prototypes; debugs; sets-up and directs lab and field testing; works on/involved with design refinement, concurrent engineering and bringing the product through its first production run.
- Develops and tests APIs, web sockets, beacons and procedure calls that enable device to cloud and device to mobile application communication
- Work with both internal and external project teams to manage electronics design and procurement issues, and meet schedules for product delivery to market.
- Technical liaison and support for 3rd party engineering development, contract manufacturing, and RF certifications.
- Innovation contributor for new sensor designs.
- Rigorous revision controls for documentation of all software and hardware both internally and externally.
- Recommends ISO based security for device data and transmission.
- Collaborates with multi-disciplinary mechanical engineering team, mechanical test lab, manufacturing, procurement, and quality.
- Works to understand data analytic needs as they will execute within hardware design parameters
- Creates detailed specifications that meet product requirements.
- Responsible for interacting with external vendors on technical topics for IoT device, including RF production and interference.
Complexity of Duties:
- Must be a self-starter and work under the supervision of the IoT Program Manager to develop approaches to solutions. Work is reviewed upon completion for adequacy in meeting objectives.
- Working knowledge and understanding of multiple related disciplines related to mechanical design of products with embedded IOT sensors,
- Provides technical assistance and solutions to a wide range of difficult problems requiring a high degree of technical competence.
- Interfaces regularly with multiple levels of the organization and vendors on issues relating to product lines.
- Ability to direct and provide support to Engineering Services personnel.
- Must be able to work in a test environment coordinating duties with test engineers for the development of the IoT products.
- May be called upon to travel to customer sites to evaluate technical issues
To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential duty satisfactorily. The requirements listed below are representative of the knowledge, skill, and/or ability required. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
Strong written, verbal and interpersonal communication skills.
High degree of technical competence and problem solving skills.
Strong written, verbal, interpersonal, and customer contact communication skills.
Troubleshooting skills and organizational skills.
Skilled with word processing, spreadsheets, CAD experience desirable.
Computer aided manufacturing (CAM) experience / knowledge desirable.
Familiarity with Microsoft Project a plus.
Education and/or Experience:
- BS, Computer Engineering Technology, Electrical Engineering, Electronics Engineering, Computer Science or equivalent in experience required. MS is a plus.
- Two or more years related experience in the interface of mechanical devices and IOT
- At least five years’ experience as a firmware engineer or micro coder
- At least 10 years’ experience in PCB design & development of released product.
- Demonstrated experience in development of designs with embedded sensors
- High degree of technical competence and problem solving skills.
- Integrate 3rd party sensor inputs into solutions with an on board MPU.
- Rapid prototyping PCB’s including CAD design.
- Experience with Android and iOS SDKs & App development.
- Circuitry power optimization and integration of various peripherals from Bluetooth to Wi-Fi. GSM modules a plus.
- Excellent C or C++ programming for device / sensor programming skills.
- Experience with MEMS based accelerometers and microphones a plus.
- Familiarity with Edge computing platforms and gateways.
- Experience with RF, certifications, measurement, testing.
- Experience maintaining RF communication in industrial environments with high noise + physical interference.
- Experience with Bluetooth, and Wifi 802.11x protocols. Mesh networking a plus.
- Proxy/ encryption skills required
- Strong written, verbal, and interpersonal skills required
- Familiar with encrypted polyglot persistence options on IoT devices for secure storage and transmission.
- Troubleshooting and organizational skills.
- Skilled with word processing, spreadsheets,
- Computer aided manufacturing (CAM) experience / knowledge desirable.
- Experience with Linux or derivatives (i.e. Yocto, Ubuntu) and Windows also desirable.
The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions. While performing the duties of this job, the employee is occasionally required to stand, walk, sit, talk or hear and reach with hands and arms. Specific vision abilities required by this job include close vision. Moderate noise (i.e.; computer printers, traffic) exists daily in the work environment.
All of A.W. Chesterton Company employment is contingent upon successfully passing a background check, drug test, and the respective medical surveillance requirements.
Chesterton is an equal opportunity employer M/F/V/D