Who We Need:
You have exceptional mechanical aptitude and love working with your hands.
Attention to detail is your specialty and you have experience reading blueprints.
You can troubleshoot and solve problems quickly and welcome a challenge!
Given these skills, you could work anywhere. So why not bring your talents somewhere great?
How about working at a company:
- With 130+ years in US manufacturing, whose business is still growing
- That is led by successful, strategic, personable leaders who know your name
- That has a significant global environmental impact with products and services that prevent and reduce industrial pollution
- That encourages you to dedicate 5% of your on the clock time to career development
- That gives you a formal on-boarding program to get you on a fast path to success
- That offers tuition reimbursement, a global employee recognition program where you can win gift cards, a mentoring program, a paid volunteerism time-off program, a scholarship program for children of employees and many more!
- That has people who are fun, smart, engaged and like working together to bring world-class service to our Customers every day
Check out our formal job description below:
Responsible for the complete assembly and test of all Chesterton seals and sub assemblies. Performs a wide variety of complex tasks involving all aspects of the final assembly process. Required to perform specialized tasks as specified either verbally or in writing by manufacturing or design engineering. Exercises judgment in determining specific sequences of assembly operations and conforming quality requirements. May assist engineering on proto type and non-standard seal assemblies and packaging requirements. Assist in the training of Personnel on the shop floor, and work closely with supervision on creating and completing assembly schedules. Must be able to work overtime as required, maintain a positive and focused attitude , and be willing to support all of the Teams goals and objectives.
- Responsible for quality control e.g., vendor, machine shop, and assembly. Tests all pertinent seals using automatic and semi-automatic vacuum and / or pressure test equipment.
- Assembles ALL seals and sub assemblies both standard and engineered solutions.
- Assembles engineered solutions seal assemblies and sub assemblies working from assembly drawings or work instructions.
- Must maintain assembly skills in each cell on a yearly basis. Individual must demonstrate that they have worked a certain number of hours in each cell spanning all product lines. The number of hours required to work will be dictated by Supervision.
- Must be willing to visit Customer locations at least once a year.
- Records daily data relating to quality defects that are identified by specific reason codes.
- Regularly communicate with purchasing, planning, CST, and manufacturing in order to properly execute Customer orders.
- Validates accuracy of components to the shop order/ bill of material by part number and various inspection criteria i.e. o-ring inspection cone and inside diameter requirements on various seal components using test shafts.
- Performs a variety of semi- repetitive tasks using a variety of hand / power assisted tools to assemble mechanical seal products and sub assemblies.
- Maintains a clean, neat, and safe work area.
- Responsible for put stock away into designated inventory stocking locations.
- May participate in engineered solutions meetings in order to determine assembly, test, and packaging requirements.
- May participate in the daily cycle count process.
Complexity of Duties:
- Ability to follow verbal or written directions
- Works with minimal Supervision. Basic instruction provided as needed for special assignments or complex operations.
- Must possess a thorough knowledge and understanding of all mechanical seals and sub assemblies.
- Exercise independent judgment and decision-making regarding the methods and sequences of assembly operations when complete information is not readily available.
- Must possess advanced understanding of assembly and sub-assembly operations and are prepared to deal with complex problems.
- Strong interpersonal and interaction skills.
- Ability to lift heavy Mechanical seals and components on a regular basis.
- Ability to make decisions based on a set of predetermined parameters.
- Ability to interact with internal and external customers, i.e.; Engineering, Customer Service, Quality, etc.
To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential duty satisfactorily. The requirements listed below are representative of the knowledge, skill, and/or ability required. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
- Strong Mechanical aptitude and comprehensive understanding of quality principles and measuring tools.
- Manual dexterity
- Ability to interpret and understand assembly drawings or instructions
- Strong communication skills required
- Comprehensive reading, writing, and math skills
- Ability to know and understand when to use hoist equipment and other safety equipment as necessary
Education and/or Experience:
- High school or trade school preferred
- One year of direct assembly experience in mechanical seal final assembly process required.
- Three plus years related experience in a manufacturing environment preferred
- Ability to pass a written or verbal exam relating to the function of mechanical seals, components, and the overall assembly process.
Other Skills and Abilities:
- Ability to work according to written / verbal instructions and / or procedures which ensure safety on the job, and efficient and effective assembly process.
- Ability to work well under pressure and to work as part of a team in order to service our Customers in a timely and productive manner.
- Ability to perform in a leadership role when called upon.
The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions. Employees assigned to certain tasks within this job may be required to participate in our Medical Surveillance Program. While performing the duties of this job, the employee is occasionally required to stand, walk, sit, talk or hear and reach with hands and arms. Specific vision abilities required by this job include close vision. Moderate to loud noise (i.e.: computer printers, traffic) exists daily in the work environment. Must be able to lift up to 35 lbs. on a regular basis. Exposure to high noise and temperature levels.
All of A.W. Chesterton Company employment is contingent upon successfully passing a background check, drug test, and the respective medical surveillance requirements.
Chesterton is an equal opportunity employer M/F/V/D