Who We Need:
You’re familiar with shipping hazardous materials globally and can recite the regulations in your sleep.
You have experience shipping not only domestically, but internationally as well and understand the important differences.
You can hold a conversation about imports and exports even if you're not quite an expert.
Given these skills, you could work anywhere. So why not bring your talents somewhere great?
How about working at a company:
- With 130+ years in US manufacturing, whose business is still growing
- That is led by successful, strategic, personable leaders who know your name
- That has a significant global environmental impact with products and services that prevent and reduce industrial pollution
- That encourages you to dedicate 5% of your on the clock time to career development
- That gives you a formal on-boarding program to get you on a fast path to success
- That offers tuition reimbursement, a global employee recognition program where you can win gift cards, a mentoring program, a paid volunteerism time-off program, a scholarship program for children of employees and many more!
- That has people who are fun, smart, engaged and like working together to bring world-class service to our Customers every day
Check out our formal job description below:
At Chesterton, we have a laser focus on our customers! This job impacts the customer by ensuring the Logistics team accomplishes all daily processes to keep our Global Supply Chain operating smoothly. The Logistics Supervisor is responsible for the day-to-day operations of the site warehouse, shipping, receiving and/or documentation functions, as assigned. This includes directing the activities associated with finished goods, semi-finished goods, and raw materials. Outbound shipments are made to both international and national locations to customers, distributors, and Chesterton direct operations. Assists in annual budget development and monitors/controls spending against budget. Manages personnel issues, employee performance assessment, and discipline issues. Interprets, executes, and remains current on all company policies and procedures that effect the shipping, receiving, documentation, and warehouse areas and personnel.
- Direct the activities of shipping, receiving, documentation and/or warehouse personnel, as assigned.
- Manage the shipment of all consolidated orders.
- Oversee documentation for domestic and international shipments.
- Coordinate the effective utilization of manpower, equipment, and materials.
- May approve specified documents in manager’s absence.
- Ensure proper inventory transaction control over all receipts, issues, and adjustments.
- Coordinate priority shipping requirements with CST.
- Maintains safe working environment and provides for proper housekeeping.
- Ensures all safety practices and procedures are followed.
- Ensures equipment is handled and maintained properly.
- Documents and maintains records on employee performance, training, absenteeism, and disciplinary issues.
- Completes evaluations and recommends salary modifications and training plans.
- Identifies training requirements and coordinates proper training.
- Maintains warehouse storage of finished goods and packaging consistent with inventory accuracy, optimum space utilization, and cost containment.
- New assignments, as identified or developed, may be added.
Complexity of Duties:
- Work independently under general direction.
- May oversee work teams or be a member of a cross-functional team.
- Provide direction to subordinates guided by established policies and procedures.
- Accomplishes tasks through predominately nonexempt and entry level exempt employees.
- Monitors work operations on a daily basis and actively provides direction to subordinates.
- Requires a thorough understanding of shipping, warehouse, documentation, and/or receiving practices.
- Requires advanced interpersonal skills, strong problem solving skills, and strong decision making skills.
- Interacts with multiple groups throughout the organization.
- Works closely with other supervisors and managers to make decisions that impact Manufacturing; Quality; Materials; Customer Service; and Environmental, Health, and Safety. May make recommendations to management on a regular basis.
- Ability to work in an industrial environment and operate most equipment, including a fork truck.
- Participate in Logistics staff meetings to help guide departmental activities.
To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential duty satisfactorily. The requirements listed below are representative of the knowledge, skill, and/or ability required. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
Education and/or Experience:
- High School or Trade School Graduate
- Five plus years of demonstrated shipping, receiving, documentation, and/or warehouse experience
- At least one year of supervisory experience
- Import/Export experience preferred
Other Skills and Abilities:
- Thorough knowledge and understanding of shipping, receiving, documentation, and warehouse practices, and inventory control techniques
- Basic understanding of business concepts and budgetary processes
- Strong decision making skills
- Strong written and oral communication skills
- Advanced interpersonal skills
- Strong problem solving skills
- Ability to supervise others and objectively and effectively manage employee performance
- Possess developed planning skills
- Knowledge of various transportation regulations
- Computer skills
While performing the duties of this job, the employee is occasionally required to stand, walk, sit, lift, talk or hear, reach with hands and arms. Specific vision abilities required by this job include close vision. Moderate noise (i.e.: computer printers, traffic) exists daily in the work environment. The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions. Employees assigned to certain tasks within this job may be required to participate in our Medical Surveillance Program.
All of A.W. Chesterton Company employment is contingent upon successfully passing a background check, drug test, and the respective medical surveillance requirements.
Chesterton is an equal opportunity employer M/F/V/D