Who We Need:
You have exceptional 3D CAD skills.
You have knowledge of mechnical design and ability to interpret mechancial drawings.
You can troubleshoot and solve problems quickly to fulfill the customer need!
Given these skills, you could work anywhere. So why not bring your talents somewhere great?
How about working at a company:
- With 130+ years in US manufacturing, whose business is still growing
- That is led by successful, strategic, personable leaders who know your name
- That has a significant global environmental impact with products and services that prevent and reduce industrial pollution
- That encourages you to dedicate 5% of your on the clock time to career development
- That gives you a formal on-boarding program to get you on a fast path to success
- That offers tuition reimbursement, a global employee recognition program where you can win gift cards, a mentoring program, a paid volunteerism time-off program, a scholarship program for children of employees and many more!
- That has people who are fun, smart, engaged and like working together to bring world-class service to our Customers every day
Check out our formal job description below:
Develops design layouts, creates 3-Dimensional models, and 2 Dimensional drawings of complex new products (mechanical/electrical). Work is performed under general direction from engineers and customers with minimum supervision. Independently determines and develops approach to work and solutions that often require considerable initiative and independent judgment. Work/final plans are reviewed/checked for accuracy by engineer and/or Drafting Supervisor upon completion. Provides technical leadership to drafters and engineering personnel with product and CAD related issues/problems. May be required to act as the Drafting Supervisor in his/her absence. Develops new drafting processes to improve delivery time using CAD tool and product knowledge. Provides assistance and mentoring to other CAD groups as required.
- Designs and prepares original scale drawings and 3-D models of complex parts and assemblies from basic engineering information.
- Responsible for total design of complex products.
- May act as Drafting Supervisor and also act as drawing checker, if required.
- Develops process improvements for Drafting Department to improve cycle time and accuracy of drawing, model, and/or data files.
- Acts as a technical mentor (CAD /product) for others in design or drafting positions.
- Provides leadership to Engineered Solutions group on design change and assists manufacturing engineering on drawing/tolerance interpretation.
- Participates in new product design/manufacturing review sessions prior to pre-production trials.
- Makes involved mathematical calculations. Performs involved design analyses, and engineering computation, including tolerance studies, parts fit, form and function.
- Assists in new CAD product evaluation.
- Assists drafting and engineering professionals with CAD related issues.
- Acts as a liaison and coordinates work flow between drafting and engineering design group in order to meet overall objectives. Requires the ability to express thoughts, perceptions, and ideas clearly and concisely.
- Provides technical consultation and leadership as required.
- Uses complex database and spreadsheets to perform assignments.
- Requires extensive knowledge and ability in spreadsheet and database software.
- Performs work according to established operating procedures and ISO 9000 Quality Standards.
Complexity of Duties:
- Works under only very general direction
- Manager approves/reviews work/final plans upon completion.
- Tasks/Assignments are varied and complex and require considerable initiative and independent judgment.
- Requires ability to visualize the whole picture. Limited input from others.
- Proficient with conventional/complex drafting techniques, terms and procedures.
- Responsible for understanding design of complex products.
- Contacts are primarily within the organization. As required, may assist with application engineering problems and have outside customer contacts. Coordinates work flow between drafting and design engineering/
Education and/or Experience:
- BS Degree in Mechanical Engineering or related engineering field OR Associates degree and 5 years of experience.
- Equivalent years of related experience may substitute degree.
- SOLIDWORKS experience/training required.
- Demonstrated experience with rotating industrial equipment.
Other Skills and Abilities:
- Proficient in geometry, algebra, and trigonometry.
- Solid understanding of design work.
- Skilled in the use of Microsoft software, especially Excel and familiar with ERP systems.
- Demonstrated mechanical aptitude and strong writing skills.
- Skilled in SOLIDWORKS, including modeling & detail drawings.
- Knowledge of manufacturing and assembly methods.
- Strong problem-solving and analytical skills.
- Ability to work independently and be a self-starter.
The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions. While performing the duties of this job, the employee is occasionally required to stand, walk, sit, talk or hear and reach with hands and arms. Specific vision abilities required by this job include close vision. Moderate noise (i.e.; computer printers, traffic) exists daily in the work environment.
All of A.W. Chesterton Company employment is contingent upon successfully passing a background check, drug test, and the respective medical surveillance requirements.
Chesterton is an equal opportunity employer M/F/V/D